Why 18 Wheeler Accidents are Different than Car Accidents
In the emotional time after an accident, the complex nature of a truck accident case often overwhelms the victims. Don’t give up! An experienced Lubbock 18-wheeler accident attorney at Liggett Law Group can guide you through the process. We will make sure you are treated with respect and receive the justice and compensation you deserve.
Unique Aspects of Truck Accidents
There are a number of key differences in accidents involving commercial trucks versus accidents that involve only passenger vehicles. The elements of a truck accident claim that make it different include:
- Greater risk of severe – sometimes fatal – injuries
- Higher center of gravity
- Different braking systems
- A large truck can weigh more than 10,000 pounds
- Larger loads – a tractor-trailer can weigh up to 80,000 pounds (25 to 30 times as much as a passenger vehicle)
- Semi-trailers can be up to 53 feet in length and 8.5 feet in width. Behind a trailer of such diameter, passenger vehicles will be significantly harder to see.
- Truckers are professional drivers who are legally required to adhere to certain standards.
- More than one party may be liable for the accident (truck driver, trucking company, equipment owner, shippers, distributors, and various insurance companies, etc.).
- Trucking companies often have their own investigation team, while automobile drivers may not have instant access to a truck accident attorney.
- The trucking industry has different documentation requirements (e.g. equipment safety and drivers hours).
- Records have to be kept for six months.
- Trucking regulations are stricter than regular traffic laws; truckers have to comply with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.
- Big trucks have innovative electronic systems monitoring speed, tire pressure, engine, etc. This data can be used as evidence during the investigation; however, it must be collected immediately or it may get lost or destroyed.
- A trucker’s personnel file may be requested as evidence.
- Experts are often required to investigate a much more complex trucking accident case.
A traffic accident involving a monstrous 18-wheeler can result in severe injuries. Victims of such accidents are glad to be alive and focus primarily on their recovery. Struggling with pain and devastating emotions, many accident victims are unable to deal with the legal aspects of the accident’s aftermath. They feel especially overwhelmed if their opponent is a large truck company with a much larger pool of legal resources at its disposal.
Get Help From Texas Truck Accident Lawyers
As a team of seasoned 18-wheeler accident attorneys in Lubbock, Liggett Law Group is familiar with the procedures in truck collision cases. If you trust us with your claim, we will help you identify the liable parties and track down any potential witnesses to the accident. We will evaluate safety documents, logbooks, and other evidence to determine the cause of the accident and the liable parties.
The Lubbock, Texas truck accident lawyers at our firm work with accident reconstruction experts and other specialists to achieve the best possible results for our clients. We enter into negotiations with the insurance company over compensation for material as well as bodily damages, and aggressively pursue claims at trial when necessary. Contact us today for a free consultation.