Lubbock covers 135.9 square miles and has a population of over 300,000. Despite its small-town charm, our city is the 11th largest in Texas and among the top 100 most populated cities in the country. Lubbock’s population has increased 14.84% since the 2010 census and is only continuing to grow, seeing consistent growth since the early 1900s. Experts anticipate Lubbock will grow seven percent through 2022. Our residents have a median age of just 31 years old, meaning we are getting younger each year and are chock full of residents that are a part of the local and regional workforce. With this growth has come a dangerous and shocking development – Lubbock has one of the highest traffic fatalities per capita in the country.
Lubbock police reported 26 traffic fatalities in 22 crashes during 2020. In addition, Lubbock County ranks first in the nation among small counties with the most drunk driving deaths, with 49 percent of traffic deaths involving impaired drivers. Compared to the drunk driving fatality rate for the rest of the United States (29 percent), Lubbock has 68.97 percent more frequent drunk driving deaths than the rest of the country. Locally, we have suffered 191 traffic fatalities in the last five years alone.
Leading Causes of Texas Traffic Fatalities
Texas averaged 11 deaths in traffic accidents per day in 2021, continuing our state’s nearly 21-year streak of at least one traffic fatality per day. Everything from ignoring the rules of the road to dangerous weather and road conditions can cause or contribute to a roadway fatality; however, three of the most common causes of Texas car accident fatalities include:
- Speeding, which is the leading cause of car accidents in Texas
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
In 2020, 3,896 people were killed on Texas roads, a 7.54 percent increase over 2019. At least 14,656 people sustained serious injuries in roadway accidents as well in 2020.
10 Tips to Avoid Car Accidents
As the Lubbock community continues to grow, with that comes more motor vehicles along our local and regional roadways, car accidents are almost inevitable. Despite the prevalence of auto crashes, there are some tips that you can use to help keep you and your passengers safe while navigating Texas roads, streets, and highways, including:
- Keeping your distance from the vehicle in front of you so you can stop safely
- Driving strategically by mapping out your route ahead of time so you don’t get distracted by getting lost
- Keeping your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel by avoiding distracted driving behaviors like eating and drinking, texting, putting on makeup, and more
- Driving appropriately for the weather conditions, including slowing down in inclement weather such as rain, snow, and ice
- Not driving too fast because speeding has been involved in about one-third of all motor vehicle fatalities nationwide for over two decades
- Practicing defensive driving by waiting a few moments after an intersection light turns green to ensure no one is running a red light coming from the opposite direction
- Performing regular vehicle maintenance
- Always wearing your seatbelt and ensuring those riding with you are properly secured in the safest way for their age and location in the vehicle
- Limiting the number of passengers to the appropriate number for your vehicle who can be secured by seatbelts and ride safely
- Never drinking and driving or using dangerous drugs before driving
Lubbock Car Accident Lawyers
The experienced personal injury trial lawyers of Liggett Law Group exclusively represent victims injured by the negligence or bad acts of others. Our team will take the time to get to know you, your loved ones, and all of the details of your situation so that we can provide support and counsel to you during your recovery as well as provide you with the best possible legal representation in your claims against those responsible for your injuries and other losses. Our Lubbock injury lawyers have a combined 70 years of legal experience fighting for justice. Founder and owner Ted Liggett has been selected by his peers for inclusion as a Texas Super Lawyer and has achieved the prestigious Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating for the highest level of professional excellence. In addition, his firm has won the Lubbock Avalanche Journal’s Readers Choice Award / Best of Lubbock Award 10 times!
We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning that you do not pay us anything unless we obtain a favorable outcome on your behalf. If you or someone you know was injured in a Lubbock car accident, call us today at (806) 605-5805 or submit a contact form online.